Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Eggplant Omelette & Cornbread with Honey

When I went to my garden today, I noticed that one of the two eggplants that I've grown was pilfered, broken off neatly at the bud and taken. It was the larger of the two, and was almost ready to be picked, so ...... I picked the other one, a smaller one that had been nibbled by mice. (I'd actually transplanted these eggplants from my flowerbed at home, so they'd benefit from better soil at the Community Garden Plots.)
I chopped up the little eggplant - about three cups of meat - and stirfried it with onions, garlic, hot red peppers and Mrs. Dash in a little bacon grease. Then I crumbled the bacon onto the top of the veggies, adding two beaten eggs which I rolled around in the pan much like you'd roll a crepe. I sprinkled shredded cheese on top, placing bread crumbs on top of the cheese. I put the lid on top of the skillet (cast iron), and let it bubble and cook together. When the egg was cooked I flipped half of the omelette over onto the other half, with the bread-crumbs and cheese in the middle. It turned out very flavorful - my one and only eggplant from the garden this year! I served it with hot cornbread, butter and honey.