Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Left-overs: Red Onion Salad & Zuchinni Boats

When I unpacked our coolers from the camping trip, I had odds and ends that just begged for a salad. So I made this 'Red Onion Salad', with finely chopped fresh green beans, tomatoes, orange and yellow bell pepper, hot red and green peppers, fresh basil, oregano, tiny yellow onions and zucchini from my garden, and a sprinkling of chopped green olives. I mixed the vegetables with red wine vinegar and olive oil, then ground a savory Latin spice blend over everything. (That decorative thistle near the kale was just for decoration. Ouch!)

Ruhiyyih, in her comment in the last post, noticed that I didn't take any food photos during our trip - I figured w
e'd better eat the food quick or it would get cold! Also, appetites at the ocean rule out aesthetics. I just heaped it generously on paper plates and covered it so the crows wouldn't get it. Since George was doing the sound for the conference, I brought food to him in covered containers, so he could eat at his leisure while playing music. That did catch a little attention, as he uncovered gnocchi in a meat-tomato sauce with stir-fried vegetables. He was like the 'little Prince', with his private servant. Naw, he didn't mind that attention, not a bit!

I've got a lot of yellow squash coming up. All year these squash are priced high, and I don't often buy them.
Now, they are piling up, and I'm feeling that urgency, to use all of them in meals. Stuffed zucchini, zucchini parmesan, zucchini relish, zucchini with garlic and chili peppers, zucchini with mustard sauce, Mexican zucchini soup, batter-fried zucchini sticks, zucchini quiche, zucchini and feta cheese phyllo, zucchini bread, zucchini chocolate cake - I'm swamped with ideas!

I made this large zucchini boat, filling it with stir-fried vegetables, rice and meat, and cheddar topping. I reheated some tofu, rice, and hamburger pieces as a side dish.

Zucchini boats can be filled with couscous and raisins, okra and black beans in an east-Indian curry sauce. They require about 45 minutes in the oven, 350 degrees, covered.

I'm headed over to Montana for a few days, to visit my sister and her family, and I plan to make some zucchini brownies for my grand-daughter, Daisy. She says she doesn't like vegetables - but, she'll love these brownies. A thin slice, served warm with Greek God Yogurt and a kiss of Hershey's syrup.

Since I'll be gone almost a week, George will take care of the garden while I'm gone, a necessity now that I've started new plant starts - mustard greens, beets, onion bunches, spinach and lettuce. I picked these Sweet Peas this morning.....