Friday, August 01, 2008

Odds And Ends From A Busy Week

It has been a productive week, with our Ruhi Class Wednesday evening and a Devotional Thursday evening. The Baha'is of Tacoma hosted a booth at the Ethnic Fest last weekend, and we are now getting acquainted with new friends wanting to know more about the Faith. I spent only a few hours at the Fest, as major gardening tasks were calling. But, I did manage to catch some gospel and dance by the 'All Nations Dancers' and the 'New Life Olympia Gospel', and the ending presentation, reggae, by Alex Duncan.

I brought a camping chair, sat down and watched the crowds clapping and dancing to a performance.
Here, the crowds are waiting for Duncan's performance - I just happened to turn around to catch the image.

These children are doing dance interpretations to music, with their coaches below the stage guiding them through the music. It was so sweet, so well done, and the crowds loved the kids.

I also caug
ht a glimpse of the 'New Beginnings Step Team', a step-dancing group stomping to gospel music. The New Life Olympia Church gospel was simply rousing and wonderful - just exactly the type of religious music that I really enjoy. (I didn't use my camera during the Fest; got too distracted with the music.)

Mary Ellen and Rashid at our Ruhi Class.
Candy and a correspondent, Bud, from the 'American Baha'i' magazine. Bud came to this area to gather information about the activities in this area. He has spent several days visiting the Children's Classes, the Ruhi Study Groups, and the teaching events planned throughout the week.
George and Debbie, our tutors for the class.

My backyard garden is loosing some of the intensity of earlier blooms, and sliding into that mid-summer fade.
The lilies are done, the roses are giving a second bloom, and the catnip is almost gone.

This rose is one of only three left, so I paid special attention to it. We've had rain for the past several days, so I've got plants that are now bending lower to the ground, with a bedraggled appearance. I'm glad I got the photos before the rain pummeled everything.

I'm still dealing with garden production - George, too. He pulled all his beets a few days ago to give more room to his green beans. I thought about pickling and canning them, which I did for years. But, he said he wanted a Beet Salad, deli-type, with red onions, dijon mustard, white wine vinegar, etc. So, we've now got a huge bowl full, crisp, cold, and zingy. It will take about 10 days to finish all of it. Anyone want some Beet Salad?

I'm also pulling a lot of yellow and green zuchinni, basil, parsley, oregano, and green onions.
I've been stirfrying them together with onions, garlic, and cilantro.

I bought some bagettes and French Bread and made a quart of Brushetta Sauce. Until my tomatoes are ripe and ready to pick I use canned tomato slices, which I then flavor with basil, oregano, parsley, onion and garlic, and olive oil. I brush the sliced bread with a butter/minced-garlic spread, a hint of 'Mrs. Dash', then broil them until they are lightly brown. Then I take them out of the oven, add goat cheese, the Brushetta Sauce, tiny pieces of zuchinni, a little salt and pepper, and a few sprinkles of fresh basil. The Brushetta Toasts are then stuck under the broiler again for just under a minute. It is incredibly good, so flavorful, with the crusty bread on the outside, a soft bread interior, and gently warmed so all the flavors can mingle together.
This was lunch today, fresh from my garden.

The last of my odds and ends from this week is a little Snow Pea cutting from my garden.
It is amazing those Snow Peas, how tenacious they are when struggling to climb a wire so they can reach the top. Once there, they are snatched away from their lofty perch for someone's lunch; however, this one will remain on my windowsill. Those still remaining on the vine will become seeds for next year.