Monday, June 04, 2007

Cat-napping on the Back Porch

When George isn't using the seats to his van, he stores them here, on the patio. I cover them with a soft comforter and place a few pillows around. Mornings, I sit with my coffee, and address my 'to do' list. This week it was to plant shrubs along the south-facing fence. It took 3 days to do it - to prepare the soil, visit the nursery, and put them into the ground. I finished the project on Saturday.

My hope is to attract more birds into the yard, but so far all I have are a few bees visiting a hive under the patio floor. They really aren't a nuisance - yet - and the cats and I have gotten acquainted with them, watching their flight patterns and their little dances. They talk to one another that way, with fanciful steps and twirls, and have proven to be most industrious, never sleeping like Mordred and me.

I know I should get rid of them, as their hive will most certainly become a nuisance when we hold Ruhi classes out on the patio this summer. I'm afraid someone will get stung. But, I'm stalling. It is a horror to contemplate. I can't imagine dusting their front entrance. They'd track that in to the queen. I don't want to vacuum them up as they zoom in from the honeysuckle. Not only would that look strange to my neighbors, but I can just imagine them all buzzing inside my vacuum, waiting to get me when I'm sleeping.