Thursday, March 06, 2008

Of Closed Doors and Open Windows

It is in heavenly side-streets like this in Europe that I would love to stroll, taking in the sights ...preferably without hordes of tourists. I'd appreciate the displays in shop windows, enjoy the cascades of flowers falling from overhanging baskets, and savor little coffee shops like this one in Italy. (Taken by Chania on Flickr. )

There is nothing like the mystery of shadowy interiors and then the warm glow of an old coffee shop, with the aroma of freshly brewed espresso or cappuchino. It beckons indulgence and relaxation, which is the gift of a good coffee shop.

But, I'm here at home in the mists and overcast skies of a March day in the Pacific Northwest. There has been frost on the grass in the mornings, and by mid-day the begrudging sun peeks and bobs through a high scatter of thin clouds. I seek my chance to go running, strip off a layer or two, and let the sunshine warm my skin. We think of Vitamin D deficiency here in the wintertime, as overcast skies prevent that vitamin from being absorbed.

So, I spent the day cooking, starting with buckwheat groats fried with a thin coating of egg, then simmered with garlic, onion, carrots and celery in chicken broth.
Add some carrots simmered in lime juice as a side-dish, and some cannellini beans (white kidney) and I've got a nutritious little lunch. The whole grain buckwheat and the beans, when combined at the same meal, make a complete protein. The fiber is always good, and the carrots, well, they were boring....but my eyes need them.

I tossed together a salad with all kinds of goodies, and spent an hour watching Anthony Bourdain on TV savoring the spicy delights of Mexico. He tried out the local salsa and chips, and I enjoyed watching the local fellows set up the spiciest fare to trigger his gag reflex. Bourdain just chowed down, as usual, and chuckled. He is not to be out-done by big burly guys in the local tavern, and jugs down a glass of beer to cool his tonsils. I enjoy his show - it is irreverent, makes me laugh, and opens up an entirely different part of the world, different from what I have in my own home.

Mexico I'd like, but the desserts of France or Spain inspired me to create a little custard cake, a Basque confection made with imitation ru
m (just a dab for a subtle flavor), and vanilla, and a brushed egg topping with slivered almonds. It requires a 'setting-up' phase of a couple of hours for the rum custard to stiffen-up so it can be perfectly cut. I warmed my slice in the microwave for a few seconds to bring out the rum flavor, and enjoyed it with a cup of coffee. The dough for this custard cake is cut in half, then both sections are rolled out, with one section larger than the other to overlap the top portion when covering the custard filling.

I saved some of the custard for individual servings with fruit. They puffed out so nicely, and I added kiwi, a few huckleberries from last fall, a drizzling of plum syrup, and yogurt. This could work well for breakfast, with a slice of ham and some hash-browns, and I can see individual custards topped with fruit as a high-protein dessert when camping. Warmed over the fire, with a bit of powdered sugar and some strawberries, it would make a perfect bedtime snack.

A fragrant chicken-vegetable stew was my last project for the day, intended for dinnertime. I sauted carrots, celery, and onion in olive oil, added chicken bullion, then added assorted finely chopped vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, leeks, parsley, etc.) and some prunes and dried apricots. These enhance the flavor of the stew. Then I added one jar of pizza sauce - any thick paste will do - and a blend of spices: Anise, tarragon, turmeric, cayenne, rosemary, and Italian seasoning. Salt, pepper, a sprinkle of fresh lime and a splash of plum syrup were added at the end. I simmered chicken and bratwurst for forty minutes in this mixture, until the chicken fell off the bones and the rich tomato broth became a sauce. Once done, this wholesome mixture can be served over brown rice or with whole wheat bread, lavishly buttered! I'm showing only a small serving of this stew because (although it tastes great) it photographs poorly, just like most east-Indian dishes. They tend to look like orange goo, from cayenne and turmeric.

Well, I was savoring all my little culinary delights, even e-mailing photos of the Basque cake and the rum-custard to George, with the title "Which of these would you prefer?", knowing his afternoon snack was probably oatmeal. (Heh, the drawbacks of being a diabetic.) He called back with disappointing news - he had to work late, then attend a Baha'i meeting in the evening. (Guess I'll never do THAT again! :)

Shucks, all this good food and nobody to share it with. But, Taraz was in town visiting his friend Arron; he called and asked if they could come over. He must have called while Aron was driving, because right after I hung up the phone they were knocking on the door! I pulled out dinner and it was sure gratifying to see those young men eat. Reminds me of that phrase, "when God shuts a door, He'll leave a window open".