Thursday, March 20, 2008

Naw Ruz - First Day of Spring

Baha'is celebrate the new year on March 21st, the first day of Spring. I've been busy cleaning the house, getting ready for company. Taraz and Megan and several of their friends from out of state will stay here tonight.

We have plans to attend a Naw Ruz celebration Saturday morning, a brunch, and then our family will scatter. Taraz and Megan want to take their friends on the ferry, to Vashon Island, to visit the Vashon Island Coffee Roasterie, and to explore the beach where we had such a good time earlier in the month.

Just as mos
t people spend days preparing delicacies for Easter, like hot cross buns, I've experimented with several favorite recipes, to make them a little more festive. Dilly Bread is one of my kids' favorites, a soft bread with cottage cheese and onion, and dill mixed into the dough. I decided to make little rolls with the dough this time, and put a ricotta filling inside each roll. (Next time, I'll double the amount of filling and ricotta).
Here, I've placed a celery-onion seasoned filling on top of the dough. Since these little rolls were going to have a mild east-Indian curry paste spread on top of the sliced rolls, I added a little Cajun seasoning to the onion-celery mixture.
This is what the rolls looked like after rolled up and shaped into a crescent. This bread dough is unbelievable, so soft and fragrant. I brushed the top with egg, then sprinkled shredded cheddar and Swiss cheese.

The rolls, when sliced open, show the ricotta filling and the layer of veggies and spices.
Each roll can be sliced into several pieces, like a miniature loaf of bread, then spread with eastern curry paste. I tried a test-slice, warm out of the oven, and the curry paste really enhances the zesty flavor. These can be kept warm, in tin foil, and served as a snack or with breakfast in the morning with scrambled eggs and ham.

I then proceeded to improvise with an old favorite - Apricot Almond Muffins. This time, I mixed together crushed walnuts with almond paste and just a hint of brown sugar and cinnamon, and rolled this mixture into a little ball which I placed on top of the dough.
I scooped a little depression into the dough, so the ball would settle in, then I poured the rest of the batter over the top.
The fragrance of apricot and almonds is enhanced when these are eaten warm, also, and are great served with morning coffee.

I'll be preparing a quiche today, and also some macaroni and cheese with a bread-crumb topping. I want to experiment with a little more white cheese added to the cheddar, and I want to throw in a little broccoli, celery and onion, and thin-sliced bratwurst, so it is a casserole. If it passes inspection - a little taste out of the corner - I'll take it to Feast tonight. This is the last day of the Baha'i Fast, and with sundown the friends will enjoy a meal together to celebrate.

I was delighted to note that one of my Flickr photos was used by
'Mark's Daily Apple', a blog that features health and fitness. What a pleasant surprise! I'm glad he took the time to feature one of my little taste thrills, simple as they are.