Monday, January 21, 2008


There is nothing like a market to chase away the winter doldrums! George suggested going up to Seattle on Sunday, where he and Rahmat had been the day before, participating in Seattle's Intensive Program of Growth. As he described the enthusiasm of the friends there, I imagined all kinds of wonderful energy and happy faces. (I'll let Baha'i Views describe that, and I'll feature just a few photo's from Pike Place Market.)

One of the best features of Pike Place Market is the fresh fish - absolutely wonderful seafood.
This band was playing down the street in front of Starbucks - Slimpickin's, a band that plays ragtime, cajun and blues. We listened awhile, then hurried into some of the little shops to get warm - a bakery and a store that sells kitchenware. I bought a couple of wooden spoons with slanted sides, perfect for stirring batter, and that was the extent of my shopping.

I took this last shot as I waited for our espresso. You know, big cities offer so much, but I look at this photo and I just want to go home, or get out in the country where I can breathe. (The tentative leaves, disengaged but not fallen to the ground...the clutter, noise, and mess of big cities.) We passed an apartment complex where a 20 foot by 8 inch ditch held dirt and a line of little boxwood shrubs. I felt so sorry for them. I wondered how in the world will they ever attain any real growth, packed so tightly in such a limited space. I wished people - everything - had more time and room to grow.