Monday, January 07, 2008

This week the heat from my oven warmed the kitchen. I kept the thermostat down, and let the aroma of ethnic cooking fill the house. Pictured above are Koulouri Rings, a Greek pretzel that I served as an appetizer, with a hot tomato-based salsa. This little biscuit, dusted with sesame seeds or poppy seeds, is baked all over the Mediterranean. Depending on how it is made, it can be crunchy and flakey like mine were, or softer and more like bread. In Turkey it is called Simit, and is sold by street vendors, who carry it on top of their heads!

I first noticed Koulouri - Simit when I was scanning Greek kitchens and interiors in the book "Greek Style". (One of their kitchens is pictured here.) The little loaves of bread and the pretzels were on cutting boards in some of the old kitchens. I went from searching for recipes to googling images of the quaint, whimsical dwellings found on many of the Greek islands. These little homes can be rented, although for a hefty price during the tourist season.

One of the distinguishing features of floors and patios shown in "Greek Style" is pebble tiles, made from local rocks. It is called Krokalia, and has been used for centuries. This is an example from "Greek Style". I think it is a beautiful way to accent small private spaces.

I made Yellow Squash Soup again this week, and served it with home-made burritos that were filled with (slightly stir-fried), finely chopped vegetables like leeks, onions, carrots, cauliflower and celery. I added ground buffalo, garlic and cumin, and added the zing of Mandarin orange by pureeing one, then adding it to the mixture. Refried black beans held everything together, and I used strips of Mozzarella to sealthe tops shut. It turned out to be one of the most flavorful burritoes we've ever had. Also one of the prettiest!

I served Persian Rice for dinner Sunday evening. It has a mild cinnamon/nutmeg aroma, and is enhanced with turkey, fried onions, slivered almonds, dried apricots and prunes, and candied Mandarin orange peel that I've boiled and candied in brown sugar.
The effect is light and flavorful. A recipe for this is featured in the cookbook "A Taste of Persia" by Najmieh K. Batmanglij..
I've been taking care of my grand-daughter this past week. Her mom, Annie, is participating in a wedding, and will be back mid-week. Daisy is playing with her Nintendo DS, a Christmas gift.

I took this photo of Rahmat, after he'd been stylin' his hair with one of his big scarves. It begged a photo! He may look wild, but he is one of the most gentle people you'll ever meet. I had to run and grab my camera before he changed it.