Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Companions In Winter

Both of my daughters-in-law visited me last week, and we chatted awhile. These little gals are super-busy, so I'm always delighted when there is an opportunity for them to drop by. They are in their 20's, and when the extended family gets together it is amusing to see all of the 'kids' and their spouses with their incredible energy. That's eight young adults, all seeming to talk at once, joking and teasing, and standing in my kitchen eating food. They are there because that is where I am, cooking.

Our tiny kitchen table currently holds a rock collection given to me by my friend Kathy, innumerable cookbooks with pages marked with yellow post-it notes, and my sewing machine which is surrounded by seam shreaders, scissors, a box of straight pins, and the fabric, two different layers, one of which is a sheer floral print that is exceedingly hard to sew. I'm trying to sew a two layer tank-top, something 'appropriate' for an old lady, without spaghetti straps and that severe body-clinging look that is so popular in our culture today. I've decided that hand-sewing it is easier, so I've pressed all the seams with the iron, and I'm starting my fourth attempt at redoing the seams. You'd think, 'all that work for something you just plan to wear around the house?' Well, since I created the pattern, outlining the shirt from one of my old favorites, this is going to be an experiment. I don't care if it takes me all winter to get it finished!

But, back to my story, with all the kids standing around the stove. It was at Thanksgiving that I realized that my life had indeed rounded a corner when George was diagnosed with diabetes. After the initial shock, I realized that WE had to have major life-style changes, that it just wasn't a matter of careful nutritional choices, but that our habits had to be scrutinized (this was part of the conversation I had with Annie and Megan). When you are young and life is going in a very fast pace, one just gets sidetracked by other stuff - the demands of jobs and school, the parties and get-togethers with friends, and all the stuff that 'packs it in', which I call "Irons In The Fire".

George is notorious for his 'Irons In The Fire', projects and activities that consume his energy and attention, that cause the art of multi-tasking, late-night finishing last touches, and more energy to burn because everything he's doing excites every nerve and fiber of his being. He's like a fire-cracker that never stops fizzling and popping. Even while sleeping he can twitch. Early in the evening or on weekends I try to pull him away from the computer, to go for a jog, a walk, anything that will burn the extra energy that his body wants to release. It helps him sleep better.

I've become focused on this issue of exercise. When I was younger I thought people who jogged just looked silly and were setting themselves up for joint issues when they were older. I couldn't imagine anyone running in the rain, or when it began to hail. I felt they could better use their energy by being productive - vaccum the house, do the dishes and floors, mow the yard. Yet, the older I get, and with the prompting of my doctor, exercise is now a major factor in my life. He indicated that aerobics is essential, but that strength training is absolutely necessary at this stage of my life. It builds muscle, strengthens ligaments and tendons, and helps build stronger bones. It just may prevent me from having to take Fosamax for osteoporosis, which I have.

I've managed to work out a routine, a 55 minute workout three times a week for aerobics - I hike up 3 hills that are six blocks upwards, then jog down them to level ground, where I continue jogging for about six more blocks just to cool down. It may sound puny, but I never thought I could even run a block until I started. Now, I can do this workout without any great strain. On the other days, I do strength training with weights and flexable bands, while I listen to Oprah. I manage about an hour of exercise a day. I'm not ready to join a gym, or Curves, where the equipment is better, although my doctor recommends this. I just do not want to be looked at...and I know I'd do everything so slow that I'd hold other people up who want to use the machines. I need slow, strong movements at my own pace, with low impact.

The "Power of Ten" by Adam Zickerman is a book that I've used to enhance my workout at home. It is an exercise book that advocates a slow-motion workout--a more intense but time-saving method that takes only 2O minutes a week. It's basic idea is to 'hold the burn' for about ten seconds longer after the burn, that time when the muscle is being used. By gently holding the burn, as in isometric exercises or yoga, it is strength training in a more gentle, yet powerful focus. You can sit in front of the TV and work leg and arm muscles until you have to catch your breath due to the exertion! This is something one can do even lying down. I like the basic premise because it forces you to pay attention to every moment of your exercise. One caution, though. If you do this type of workout, it is important to get plenty of sleep, a good 8 to 9 hours, because that is when the body builds and repairs the cells that have been stressed.

The one point I was mentioning to Megan was that it is important to sweat during exercise, so the body can release toxins stored in fat tissue and in muscles. Toxins contribute to inflamation and disease, so a daily routine of exercise, sauna or hot showers, and plenty of water help to excrete them through the skin, the lungs, and the kidneys. You'll always experience an invigoration that comes after a good walk, hike, or jog, and that is partly due to the removal of these toxins. I've heard about 'detox teas', and although I use them moderately, diluted, there is no strong clinical research indicating that they are miracle cures. They refresh the palate and stimulate the liver to work more efficiently.

The hardest part of winter is getting out to exercise. There is just an inertia to overcome. I'll say to myself, "just drive over to the hills and walk up one of them. Then come home." Well, after I've done that I say to myself, "there's no point driving here if I don't try to do a little more." Then I start walking interspersed with jogging, and the momentum carries me along. I'll look for certain houses and landmarks along the way, and pretty soon the pace is like a song, and I want to see it to the finish. I listen to birds and the sounds of children playing in the school's courtyard, the banter of carpenters putting on a new roof, and even someone's smoke alarm. All contribute to the soundtrack. One afternoon it rained, one day it lightly hailed, one day snowflakes swirled down and melted before they hit the sidewalk. Weather is your jogging partner, and it shouts "Isn't it GREAT to be alive!"
(photo of Annie, above, was recently sent to me by her mother, Kathy.)