Saturday, February 09, 2008

Spaghetti With Greek Olive Chibatti Bread

I made a special tomato sauce for this whole-wheat spaghetti, which is a 'basic' for many of my tomato-based soups and casseroles. I stir-fried cauliflower, kale, broccoli and carrots, onion and garlic in a very hot braiser for just a few seconds, to release the color and seal the outer fibers. Then I added seasonings - rosemary, sage, thyme, cumin, and oregano. Depending on the salsa, tomato paste, or tomato sauce that I have on hand, I boost the flavors with a little Kitchen bouquet, a dash of dried beef bullion, and pureed Mandarin orange zest. This simmered for about 15 minutes. When the spaghetti is drained, I drizzle a bit of olive oil over all the strands, to keep them from sticking and then pour the meat sauce over the top. I prefer the sauce spooned over the top, rather than mixed into the pasta. The chibatti bread warms in the microwave for about 5 seconds when the meal is ready to serve. If I know I'm going to be busy all day, I'll make this meal in the morning, put it into a serving dish, and cover it in plastic wrap. When I come home from all my errands, a wholesome meal is ready in seconds.