Thursday, February 14, 2008

Shallots, Dried-Over Pear with Coriander Seeds

I grow the coriander seeds in my garden. Oftentimes I've used them for planting the next crop the following year. But, they are excellent crushed, and have a lemony aroma. Powdered, they make one of my favorite spices. The leaves of the plant are called cilantro, and I use it in so many of my Mediterranean recipes and as a garnish. I finely chop the stems of the plant into tiny pieces, and sprinkle them at the last minute over stir-fries.

Even the root can be used, although I usually composted them. The most wonderful memory I have of cilantro in the garden was when I watered the plants in the morning. New light, fresh air, the gentle spray from the hose, and then the sudden burst of the aroma of cilantro. So fragrant, so citrissy, so strong.