Friday, September 26, 2008

Huckleberry Pickin' at Joemma Beach

My son Taraz has his birthday today. Rahmat and I did some berry pickin' so I could bake him a pie.

I saw the berrries when George and I hiked the trails at Joemma Beach a week ago. We didn't stay to pick, but I sure hoped I could return, as this was a goal of mine to freeze huckleberries for the winter.

We collected three gallons of huckleberries in about an hour.

Then when we got home I made Rahmat a stack of buttermilk pancakes.
Sliced bananas, plum syrup, and the berries.

I've pulled all the tomatoes from my vines and brought them home to ripen. Rahmat mentioned the sweet pickle relish I used to make when the kids were young and asked if I'd make some more. Well, I sure had a lot of green tomatoes, so I made three pints using onion, yellow, red, and orange peppers, garlic and pickling spices.

These little eggplants were hiding under big leaves in the garden. They're too little to cook, but I enjoy looking at them in a dish on my stove.

I've got two dehydrators going. The small one on the right is mine, and the other one belongs to my friend Sandy. I'm making prunes from my plums and drying mint and oregano. They are good little gadgets. I'm hoping to dry tomatoes next.

My three sons are going up to Mt Rainier today for a hike, and invited me to join them. But I have too much yet to finish up in my garden. I told them I'd have a meal ready for them when they finish their hike - and we'll slice that huckleberry pie for dessert.