Friday, September 05, 2008

An Upgrade: REI Backpacks

When I was hiking over in Montana a few weeks ago I wore an old backpack that I've been using for 20 years. Took it to work for 10 years, rode my bike wearing it, canoed with it stashed in a bin, stashed my camera in it.... had I used it earlier, it could have been a diaper bag! It was just so versatile, so com- fortable and durable. However, it is small, and I found on my hikes that it couldn't carry a lunch, a camera, water, and extra essential clothing. I had to carry some of that, or put it in someone else's pack. I also carried a fanny pack, so I could rest the backpack on it, putting most of the weight on my hips rather than on my shoulders.

On those trips I learned I had to keep my hands free, to either use poles or to get better grips as I was side-stepping along rocky walls. It was obvious that I'd gotten 'my money's worth' on my little pack and that it was now time for something more substantial. So, I checked out the day packs at REI and was fitted with this pack, a Jet ultra-light, with hip straps to hold the weight, and chest straps to secure the pack on my back. It's got a bungee system to hold extras, straps to hold poles, polyurethane coating for weather resistance, and two toggles inside to hold a portable water reservoir.

It took about three different styles to get a type of pack that gave the kind of weight distribution that I wanted - even, and light. The clerk at REI initially fitted me with a heavier type, and when he put the weights inside - about 10 pounds - I toppled backward, hardly able to sustain the weight! That was one-tenth of my weight. He laughed at me, and knew he had a puny little gal here who could never be a rugged out-door back-country enthusiast. Someone who could carry a tent, portable cookware, sleeping bag, poles and food... Just room for a few meals and a change of clothing, a thermos of coffee and a bottle of water is about all I can carry.

I wore it on our hike on Pinnacle Ridge, and found it to work just great. However, I still wore my fanny pack below it. I've just gotten so used to all the essentials being in that little pack. I always take it, even when I just go jogging. And, this new pack with all its ties and straps just can't be instantly opened like a little fanny pack. The water resistant top hood keeps everything covered and dry...and unavailable until you really need something.

George saw the pack and wanted one too. So, I'm hoping to get him something on sale at REI, like this High Sierra Explorer, a $160 pack for $79.93. It is a little roomier than mine, has a removable media pocket on a shoulder strap that allows easy access to his gadgets. This pack can carry more of the emergency items that are necessary - first aid kit, hand and foot warmers, thermal tinfoil blanket, trail lights (a flashlight that has a red beam on one end and a flashlight on the other), plastic bags that can be used as shelter, and more food or clothing, if necessary.

When I was hiking with my sister and her husband, they told stories about mishaps while hiking, simple miss-steps or miss-judgments that caused accidents. When hiking with others one must submit to the person in charge of the climb, not go off alone or disregard the determined trail. Frank told the story of one of his climbing partners who led a climb that resulted in tragedy. An experienced climber veered off course, saying he wanted to check out a different route. As he maneuvered along a particularly narrow trail thousands of feet high an insect stung him, distracting him. He lost his balance and plummeted to his death.

While I may plan for any emergency that could possibly happen, carrying all the essentials, packing all the right food, getting back to camp before dark, I'm aware that even with all of my precautions I inevitably forget something. A rain poncho when you thought you'd have sunshine. A bandana or buff to keep your hair from blowing around. Gloves for climbing over rocks - some for you and some for that other person who forgot his.

Speaking of emergencies....do remember to tightly shut the doors to the van at night so that in the morning you do not have to recharge the battery. Yup. He had to take my car to work yesterday.