Monday, September 15, 2008

Low Tide at Joemma Beach

We portaged the canoe down this public beach, and enjoyed a 2 1/2 hour paddle on Sunday. It was gorgeous out, a warm 80 degrees with cool breezes on the water.

This net of embedded pots contains geoducks, the worlds largest burrowing clam. They are found here in Puget Sound buried two to three feet deep in mud, sand, or gravel, and can live over a hundred and fifty years. Some goeducks have attained seven pounds in weight, and most reach their maximum weight in about 15 years.

I packed a picnic lunch, and we enjoyed that on the beach. When we got back to the campground at Joemma Beach we hiked some of the trails. I was astounded to find abundant huckleberries in profusion! We
didn't have any plastic bags, so ate them as we walked along the trail. Now, in the years ahead, I'll know to drive to this little park to collect berries. It is about 30 minutes from home.

I'm swamped right now, picking plums and making plum sauce for the tagine and the barbecue, then canning it. Last year I made syrup and fruit leather for hiking, and gave two boxes of plums to the food bank.

I've harvested about half of my tomatoes, and will be making brushetta sauce for garlic toast over the next few days. That too I'lI process so I have plenty for winter. This is such a labor-intensive process, with making the sauces and cleaning jars, sterilizing, etc. I'm always relieved when it is over, and all the jars line a shelf in my pantry.

I harvested half of my golden beets, mixed them with some of George's red beets, and built this salad.
It is sure interesting when beets are mixed with onions, with the colors bleeding into one another. I used a simple red-wine vinegar and olive oil for the dressing.