Monday, June 22, 2009

Taboli Salad with a Twist


Normally, taboli salad is mostly fine wheat grain, but I put seven different raw vegetables into my food processor and made a mixture that could be added to the wheat salad to lighten it up. It is flavored with za-attar, a spice I bought at Akka, and olive oil. It looks like taboli, but it really is shredded vegetables. I layered kale, lettuce, and green onions and put the salad on top.

Our three sons went up to Mt. Ranier for a hike over the weekend. Both days were free to the public so the place was packed with visitors. They drove to a remote trail that and had an all day hike, coming home absolutely famished. I brought out some east-Indian lentil soup, naan buns with home-made cheese, and they chowed down.

Rue has two monthes off during 'maternity leave', so he has some well-earned time off. Last week he came over and I taught him, Daisy, and Taraz how to make 'farmer's cheese' and yogurt. Taraz filmed a little of it, and Rue took notes. Within an hour and a half both had been prepared, and the yogurt incubating. I cautioned Rue about squeezing out too much of the whey to speed up the process - it will result in a grainy cheese much like Parmesan, great for sprinkling but not for spreading on toast or buns. For this type of cream cheese there has to be more moisture. A feta-type of cheese is made when the dripping is allowed to continue for several hours. All three outcomes are a real treat, and depending on what type of cheese is needed the cheesemaker will watch the dripping/squeezing process.

The left-over whey, about 2 1/2 quarts, was used for the east-Indian lentil soup. And the yogurt is used in the naan. I gave Rue a spice blend that I prepare from scratch to use on the top of the buns. It is a wonderful blend of dark red paprika, oregano, cayenne, kosher salt, coarse pepper blends, and sesame seeds. I find that mixing my own blends from fresh ingredients is cheaper than buying them blended.