Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Spring Birthdays ~ Autumn Birthdays

About a decade ago I decided to celebrate birthdays only twice a year, with spring birthdays in May and autumn birthdays in September. There are so many, I cannot remember all of them most of the time: Around 7 in the spring, and at least 3 in autumn. I never remember them, even forgetting my own...and if I forget my own I also forget my twin sister's birthday. So, family reunions to celebrate everyone's birthday at one time is the way I handle it.

Rue is pictured here with his little son Daniel. They look so much alike! Annie went through some of our old photo albums to see how Rue looked when he was Daniel's age...those babies could have been twins.

Matt and Ruhiyyih drove over (to finish wedding planning at the church), and Annie's parents came, Taraz and Rahmat, Daisy.

We had a pot-luck; I made a big kettle of vegetable soup and a tomato-red onion salad...everything from the garden: Turnips, carrots, tomatoes, red and walla walla onions, scallions, potatoes, celery, kale, chard, brussel sprout leaves, parsley, oregano, yellow zucchini and a green bean or two.

Annie made a huckleberry pie from huckleberries on her parent's property. When we talked, she said that the berries were in abundance, so George and I went berry-picking early Sunday morning to get a year's supply - about a gallon of sorted berries. They are used primarily for salad dressing (with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and garlic), and I keep them frozen until it is time to use them. They have a bitter-sweet essence which partners up wonderfully with thin-sliced kale and other autumn greens, red onions and tomatoes.
This is a beet salad that I made yesterday - beets, red onions, walnuts,sweet orange segments, with a dressing of balsamic, olive oil, and salt. I made a big container, for George's salads throughout the week. It keeps well.

I've pickled some of our green beans, to add to kidney beans and garbanzos for 3 bean salad. George likes that kind, occasionally. I also canned regular romano beans, for casseroles.

This apple pie was actually prepared for one of our Devotional Meetings one afternoon, but Taraz saw it and begged for a slice.

At first I wanted to say 'no', it is for a meeting. Then I looked at his face. I knew his mouth was set for pie...and I cut him a small slice, just some little taste-thrill. Maybe I'd still have enough for our gathering.

Well, that was one big mistake. He shoveled that pie into his mouth so fast, like he was starving. Then, he sat there, like he was dumbfounded or something and looked at me.

"Mom. Could I have just one more piece?"

I looked at what was left after I cut him a second slice, and decided I'd join him. What the heck, lets have pie! I ate a small sliver.

Darn, if that wasn't SO GOOD! All warm out of the oven, and sticky apple-syrup bubbling over onto the crust. Now I know why he asked for more! I cut myself a second slice and looked at Taraz while we ate that pie together. We were just dying in bliss and gratitude.

But now almost HALF a PIE was gone, and I had nothing to serve at our gathering that night. I figured "well, maybe only Walter will show up, and he could have pie". It is amazing how one will legitimize pigging out when sugar is involved.

Ten guests arrived. Three of them diabetic, another on dialysis, one just suffered a heart attack, another has suffered a stroke...I served only weak decaffenated green tea, without sugar, and no pie.