Monday, November 02, 2009

Malloreddus ~ Gnocchi, Sardinian Style


Malloreddus is a wonderful pasta, similar to gnocchi, which is made with potato flour. The traditional recipe calls for regular flour, but I've decided that about half of it should be semolina, which is duram wheat, perfect for pasta.

After the two flours are mixed with salt
and an egg I knead the dough until it is elastic. Then I partition it into four or five small loaves depending on how many servings I will make.

Each little loaf is rolled out, then tiny bean-size pieces are chopped off.

The small chunk of pasta is pressed across a bamboo mat which effectively presses a pattern into the pasta.

The edge of the piece is rolled up and brushed to the side of the pan.

These are left to dry on a soft cotton cloth for several days until the moisture evaporates. I keep them on a tray in my refrigerator.

After they are cooked they can be seasoned with olive oil, Parmesan or Pecorino cheese, finely shredded smoked salmon, or enjoyed with a favorite pasta sauce.