Monday, May 03, 2010

Telling a Story to Illustrate Integrity


Arlene, Deb, George and I went over to Jeff's home for a Ruhi Book 1 study class. The theme was honesty, integrity, and not stealing other people's posessions. Baha'u'llah wrote, "Noble have I created thee, wherewith dost thou debase thyself." I used a personal experience to illustrate this point:

One day I was taking photographs of some posters on a door on 6th Avenue. I was enchanted with the artwork. Suddenly a dark shadow fell on the wall, I turned and a young man wanted my camera, asking if he could look at it. He was very abrupt, and I felt uneasy. I said, "No, but may I take your picture?" This startled him, and he walked away in a hurry. I realize that he probably wanted to seize my camera, run off with it. I knew if I mentioned taking his photo that it would scare him if he was insincere in his motives. The friends at the class felt that he'd see his own foolishness if he gave this incident some thought - he was trying to take advantage of a little older woman who was just wanting to capture the beauty of the day.