Monday, November 22, 2010

Heaven is in the Details - Playing With Food

We are having our first real snowfall right now - beautiful floating flakes. The temps are quite cold for this area - in the high 20's. George finished his furnace tubing/insulation under the house, and so the system is now running more efficiently. His next project is to install new insulation under the floor.

Yesterday I went to the garden and pulled kale (a lawn-bag full), turnips and beets. I have so much produce, I'll probably have to juice most of it, to save the nutrients.
Kale juice has the most beautiful deep green color. I'm storing it in a small bottle in my refrigerator.

My friend Jim at the garden was pulling his root crops too, and gave me beets and turnips. I did some experiments, playing.
I shredded the turnips and made salad, with tart green apple, carrots, olive oil, salt and pepper, and peach syrup.
I served it raw one night, then steamed the next, adding fenugreek sprouts and moong bean sprouts for a crunchy texture.
I made a simple carrot-apple salad, a beet-red onion salad, and hummus for our pita bread, served with mounds of steamed greens, shallots and olives. I really didn't have a meal planned, but rather just played with variations of turnip, carrot, apple, beet and onions. It was enjoyable, experimenting with the ultimate effects of context, color and texture.