Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving at the Halls'

Rue and Annie lost their power for three days, so we held Thanksgiving at her parent's home. They did all the cooking, serving a wonderful meal - all of us went home with left-overs.

The warmth of the cozy wood stove and the babies - 2 month old Charlie, and 19 month old Daniel - provided all the entertainment.

George is putting plastic up on all the windows (yes, a tad late), and I've been keeping busy in the kitchen today.

I made White Fungus Soup using some of the Thanksgiving turkey; we seasoned the broth with lime, chile sauce, and cilantro.

These carrots were served hot, garnished with roasted coconut, currants, and Mandarin oranges.
We enjoyed these Apple Praline Cupcakes with Turkish coffee for an afternoon break today. I used my espresso machine to make froth for the coffee, which I added to the top. Then I poured the tiny brown bubble froth from the Turkish coffee on top of that. The caramelized topping on the cupcakes was made with walnuts, butterscotch chips, and Whidbey's Port Chocolate Sauce, given to me by Ruhiyyih this summer. Only a slight drizzle is necessary, so aromatic and flavorful.