Monday, December 13, 2010

Pinwheel Crepe Cookie

I was reading The Maya Textile Tradition when I was inspired to roll left-over crepes into a log which I then sliced into little wheels.

As I layered the crepes I spread a mixture of sweetened sour cream and powdered sugar on top of each crepe, then I rolled all of it together, like making cinnamon rolls. Then they were baked at 300 degrees for 25 minutes, to pull the moisture out.

The result was a crispy wheel, cinnamony and sweet. Some of the sour cream had melted down onto the bottom of the baking pan, so I flipped the pinwheels over to crisp this syrup. We enjoyed them with Persian tea, given to us by a friend stopping by for a study class. In Iran the tea is served in small decorative glasses with this sugar, which looks like wedding rice. The sugar, which is flavored with almond and orange, is held between the teeth when drinking the tea .