Monday, February 01, 2010

Home-made Granola And Hemp Protein Shakes


My favorite dessert is homemade yogurt with Mandarin orange sauce. I add orange segments (perfect size), and add granola as a crunchy topping.

To make my own granola, I used agave syrup rather than honey, added oatmeal, and then made a 'Grape Nuts' type cereal to add to it, using whole wheat flour and buckwheat flour. This cereal-granola combination is flavor-packed and low in gluten.
Oat Granola:
Blend together: 1/3 cup agave syrup, 1/4 cup safflower oil, and 1 tsp vanilla. Blend together: 3 cups old fashioned oats, 3 Tbs brown sugar, salt, and 1/2 tsp cinnamon.Mix together and spread out on a cookie sheet. Bake at 300 degrees for 20 - 30 minutes.

Grape Nuts Dry Cereal:
3 cups flour (use any combination of oat, buckwheat, whole wheat), 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup almond milk, 1 tsp soda, 1 tsp salt. Mix and press onto cookie sheet, using wax paper on the top to smoothe it out. You can add sesame seeds, ground flax meal, and organic hemp protein to make a high-protein cereal. Bake the layer for 15 minutes at 300 degrees, then put all of it into a food processor or blender to make it crumbly. Then, roast the granules again for 15 minutes at 300 degrees.

The benefit of this type of cereal is it's freshness, like a fresh-baked cookie! The texture is also not rock-hard like the original Grape Nuts. Making your own, you save money and can use soy or almond milk if you are vegan.

I also made whole grain bread, using whole wheat flour and crushed almonds, pecans, peanuts, and dried cranberry. I freeze this bread and pull out a slice when I want peanut butter toast with jam. It is hearty and fragrant. We made sandwiches with it for our hike on the weekend up the Wildcat Trunk Trail in the Green Mountain State Forest. I packed Turkish coffee too...stored it here! That way, I can take a swig every few minutes, without having to take off my backpack.

My daughter, a raw food chef, gave me a container of Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein + Fiber. I'll have to admit that the color was a little unsettling. I couldn't imagine using it for a protein shake. It sat in my refrigerator and will reach it's expiration date in a month. So, not one to waste food I blended up several tablespoons with some non-fat milk powder, a half teaspoon of evaporated cane sugar, and water. Blended it with my little frappe-blender, and got an instant shake. It was fantastic! I couldn't believe it tasted so good. A perfect non-fat, high protein milkshake! This, I'll be using as an energy boost after my hill-climb/bike-ride workout twice a week.

And, yes, I found a bike helmet much like the one I wanted - at the Goodwill, for $3.99. It fits great, and after the comments I received on the last post it will be a relief to those who were worried about my brains getting bumped. Also at the Goodwill were some bigger helmets with face-pieces for mountain biking, but not the Fox Rampage, and also some of these giants, for skiing.