Tuesday, February 23, 2010

When You Got The Itch, Just Scratch It

Well, I was just researching Alaska Outdoor Experiences - online journals - and popped over to the Alaska Outdoor Journal website. Wow! What gorgeous fantastic fish! (The only fish I've recently caught was 5 years ago, a four inch scum-sucking flounder from Puget Sound. Soaked in batter and fried, it was nothing but grease and bones, and I threw it out.)

I was sure enjoying all the photos. The writer said that Cook Inlet had good winter king salmon fishing for those with a boat, a downrigger and a vac pack of troll herring. The fish move around Anisom Point, Crosswind Lake, or Yukon Island. I like stuff like that - not only do I not understand anything about fishing, but there seems to be an aura of adventure. The writer says, " When you got the itch you just have to scratch it. Even if it means trekking cross country on a snowmobile in a disorienting ice fog." I liked that 'can do attitude'!

I got a little stuck though on regulations....what you have to do once you've caught that fish. Under federal rules a halibut cannot be cut into more than two ventral pieces, two dorsal pieces and two cheeks, all with the skin on. Anglers are allowed to consume halibut while at sea after filleting. But, you have to be careful if you do not consume ALL of the halibut that has been cooked. Any portion left uncooked must be cut properly, and the skin left intact, so that if you are approached by a 'regulator', they can identify what it is you've cooked and caught.

I was dumbfounded, which is normal for me. However, rather than just letting my 'why would they do this?' just drop, I decided to give the International Pacific Halibut Commission a call, talk with the person in charge. I used my cell phone so I could read the computer screen and present my question: Why does a fish have to be cut a certain way if you are going to eat it anyway? (My focus would be on cutting it so it fits the frypan.)

I talked to two different guys, the first answered my questions beautifully; but he thought I might enjoy talking to the man who writes up these rules. So, he transferred the call, and I got even MORE confusing information...like regulations for transporting fish across the border, and why the skin must be left on, and limits. I'm convinced I would not pass this course, let alone catch a fish. If I go fishing, I'm gunna pack a tunafish sandwich.

But I did find out answers to all of my questions. And, these guys were so helpful and nice...even when I told them that I don't fish.