Friday, November 11, 2005

Pot Roast and Lemon Bars


I've just been reading, cooking and hiking lately - the reading inspires the hiking, the hiking works up the appetite. Quite the cause and effect going here...and all so satisfying.

I made a Pot Roast, browning it with spices in the frypan first, then transfering it to the oven to simmer with seasoned broth, carrots and onions for three hours until it was very tender. I added the potatoes halfway through the baking, basting them occasionally. Then, pinto beans were added toward the end, to soak up some of the broth and seasonings. It then just simmers in my ole cast iron skillet, until the broth is thick, like a gravy. Sure was good.

I'll have to admit that Lemon Bars are about as simple as a dessert can get, but I love them. Just bake the bottom crust for 8 minutes, then add the filling, bake another 25 minutes, and let it cool. Dust with powdered sugar. I like lemon bars with a cup of green tea. So refreshing.