Friday, April 21, 2006

The Cherry Blossoms Are In Bloom


This is the view out of my studio/guest-room window upstairs. It looks down into part of our backyard, with the little cabin I built for my grand-daughter, and the old garage on the right.

Not shown, is my vegetable garden that runs the length of the backyard, with nine growing beds for flowers and vegetables.

It was in this little room, sitting in a big chair by the window, that I imagined where I would plant everything - from a bird's-eye view.

For 10 years the entire backyard was devoted to growing flowers and vegetables. Now that age has taken it's toll, with the attendent aches and pains, I've planted a lawn where garden paths used to meander. We've removed the little goat corral, the rabbit hutch, the chicken coop and 'run'. My days of 'intensive farming' are over.

Right now, the cherry tree is in bloom, and the squirrls are ruffling the leaves under the pin oak, to recover all the acorns they planted. There is a lot of chatter in the forsythia from the wrens and chicadees, and it looks like we will be having a peek-a-boo day, some rain, with sunbreaks. In time, these windows will be open, and fresh air will fill the house.