Monday, April 10, 2006

Pack It In, Take It Out


This fishing tackle and Capri Sun Mountain Cooler were some of the artifacts greeting us at our 'put-in-point' on Swofford Lake. Just nestled in the decaying leaves, letting us know that someone had been there.

After six years of canoeing Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Montana lakes, I've noticed a pattern: Fishermen come to fish, and they don't pack up their trash and put it in their trucks to haul home.

We see bait containers, beer bottles, reel line with bobbins still attached, bottle caps, pretzel and chip bags, even old socks or a broken sandal. It seems like the lakes with the best fishing have the problem of the worst litter.

When George was putting the canoe in the water, I saw these items over in the grass, and when I was finished photographing them, I put them near the boat launch for the next boater to see - because the fishing lure and line were still in good condition. I figured someone could use it. When we returned from the paddle, the lure was gone....just as I figured, but the mashed flat package of Capri Sun just layed there. It did serve a good purpose - it's bold color attracted someone's attention.