Thursday, April 13, 2006

Wired For Success


I've learned the hard way to protect my vegetables when they are sprouting. Otherwise, just as they are popping up, the crows will yank them out of the ground, or the cats will scratch the soil and disturb my seeds.

By putting old grass clippings around the onions, and a soft plastic wire over the soil, I have managed to deter pesky critters.

So far, I've sprouted my peas and carrots, the onion sets have come up, and the parsley and spinach have been put into rows. Today, I'll seed my dill and cilantro, and purchase my tomato plants. I'm spending most afternoons working out in my yard now....it is too gorgeous to stay indoors.


When I've finished, I've been driving down to Ruston Way, to sit a spell at the beach. People are walking their dogs, skateboarders glide by zig-zaging. We've got a lot of people fishing on the pier, and I've enjoyed watching them.

I've taken my video camera along, and yes, I've filmed a couple of frisky pigeons with 'spring fever'. They've been nuzzling, cooing and kissing, running circles around each other. He fluffs up his feathers and struts back and forth. She reminds him with little head nods that it is nesting time......unabashed lovers, a sweet little pair.