Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Celebrating Ayyam-i-Ha

Ayyam-i-Ha is the gift-giving period for Baha'is. It is a period of festivities and celebration right before the fast. Ayyam-i-Ha started yesterday, and lasts until March 2, the first day of fasting.

I've purchased a few tiny tins, and I'm filling them with goodies for Taraz and Megan, so that when they return from Israel, and enter their kitchen, they will find something to nibble.

I've been quite lazy about baking this year, as I've been swamped with so many projects, so I've just placed an assortment of Pepperidge Farm 'taste thrills' in these little tins: Tiny miniature Milanos with double chocolate filling; Chocolate Cappuccino Marbellas, Creme-filled Chocolate Fudge Pirouettes.
This year will be the first time that George has not done the fast. He has been diagnosed with diabetes, so must carefully regulate his diet by eating 5 small meals a day. I've maintained that regimen over the past 25 years, in an attempt to regulate my metabolism and energy level. I've found that there is a constant state of well-being with frequent small meals. I have not been able to wean myself, however from an adoration for chocolate, and from a flavor-filled cup of coffee twice a day. I have my fingers crossed.