Wednesday, February 28, 2007

I've Bought A New Scrapbook

When I reformatted Flitzy Phoebie, it was like going to the store to get a new scrapbook!

Decades ago, that is what we did with all the memorable details of our lives. We bought a scrapbook with tan pages, and filled the book up, with newspaper clippings of the movies we saw, of photos of outings in the country, of trips and family gatherings. We stored our memories there, like this one from the Puyallup Fair a few years ago.


We bought those little black or white corner stickers, applied them to our photographs, and then wrote out the details of our experience on white paper. As I recall, I edged some of those paper comments with pinking sheers, just to make all the details more exquisite.

As with most scrapbooks or photo albums, they got so over handled that the pages began to slide out, the photos got snatched by children for school projects, and the pages became torn, with the corners all frayed.

Most of my photo albums have been so over-used, they are nearly just fragments. Most of the scrapbooks were lost in the shuffle of relocating from home to home as my life changed.

The value of the Internet, and blogs especially, is that some of these memories and images can be saved.
With the press of a button, there is the image of a favorite painting, or a photograph from the county fair, or the whimsical face of a loved one. With just the touch of a button, copy or paste, the beloved image remains, forever honored.

How else could we have a book with this image..... for free! Totoro is a child's favorite monster. These films, by Studio Ghibli, combine the fantasy of the mysterious totoros with the realism of everyday family life, and lets the audience experience the magic through the eyes of children.
Or this, from 'Postcards from Provence', a little gift from an artist in France. Julian paints a picture a day and sends it to his subscribers. He recently formatted his site, too, and now has an auction feature that enables him to directly receive bids on his work.

When I go through my scrapbook of subjects on Flitzy Phoebie, I recall all the places I've been that gave me such a sense of wonder and enjoyment. I've been happy there was always someone to share it with over the years. When it comes down to it, life is just one grand celebration!