Thursday, July 22, 2010

He Does Snake Lake, I Do Chimichurri

Last night, while I was cooking 'taste thrills' for George to pack in his lunches, he was walking the trail at Snake Lake, which is about a mile from our house. It is gorgeous in the evening.

I've spent the week cooking, as usual, and have been digging turnips, potatoes, and onions from the garden. I have to tie up the tomatoes today, after I ... do a little more cooking! I'll post some photographs, as I must get started on my day.


Dumpling Sambar ((Parupu Urundai Kuzhambu) with paneer curds. This curry requires a Sambar Powder, which I mixed and ground: Dried red chillies, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek, peppercorns, mustard seeds, bengal gram dal, chana dal, red gram dal, poppy seeds, cinnamon bark, curry leaves, and turmeric. It is wonderfully fragrant.
Yam Poriyal (Chenaikizhangu Poriyal) is a hot dry curry. I added Yukon Gold potatoes from the garden.
Eggplant Rasavangy (Kathirikkai Rasavangy). I served it with curd paneer and fresh-baked naan.
Beef Kebabs with Buckwheat Groats and Moong Beans .
Mango Curd Salad (Mangai Pachadi). This was served with toasted burrito shells seasoned with creole seasoning and turmeric, and garden greens.
Turnip greens and garden vegetables in a stew with pigeon peas and moong beans. Grilled chicken, basted in Chimichurri, was sliced and added - the parsley, lime, pepper, garlic and cilantro complimented the turnip greens.
Vegetables picked from the garden, were added to the stew.
Thai cucumber salad, delightfully crisp and light, but with a bit of bite.
Home-made yogurt, granola, and mixed berry syrup. I cooked strawberries, blueberries, and cherries to make the syrup, leaving the berries intact. I canned two quarts of berry syrup and four pints of orange syrup - great for waffles and pancakes!.