Friday, July 30, 2010

Yes! I Want to See The Vista!


I've taken this hike up to Hidden Lake in Glacier Park so many times with my family. It involves driving up sheer cliffs along the 'Going to the Sun' Highway, one of the most dramatic vistas in America.

Twenty years ago I took my kids up to Glacier Park in the summertime - at least twice a week to swim and hike. They've 'caught the bug', and now take their children along. This year Annie and Rue will hike with little Daniel, a year old, and Daisy, who is fourteen. My goodness, how time fies. And my brother-in-law, who leads hikes in Glacier, has resumed his hiking after heart-bypass surgery in the spring.

I
'm so grateful my kids have passed on this legacy for adventure and recreation to their own children. Sunshine, fresh air, and deep breathing - all so good for the body! And, come bedtime, you sure sleep well!

Rue said to pack only one bag, a backpack, and boots - I guess that means I can't pack a pantry full of goodies, spices and tons of garden produce. He didn't specify the size of that one bag, though...so, I'm hoping to smuggle a few things over to Montana to dress up a few meals.

My sister said she'd have meatloaf, mashed potatoes, salad and a walnut torte ready for dinner - and after 12 hours of driving, we'll be hungry!

I'll look a little different. I'm now wearing prism lenses for my double vision, and I've stopped wearing sunglasses as they block too much light necessary for me to see well. Transition lenses help with sunlight intensity now. I'll be able to hike and walk with greater steadiness - and watch scenery as we drive along in the car. I haven't been able to process images clearly for four years, so this is quite an achievement.

However, I'm to wear these glasses only as necessary, so my brain continues to work hard to process information - and I still do eye exercises. It is not a perfect system for vision, but finally I have clarity - one image only, and crisp - when I need it, so necessary when I walk, hike, canoe and drive.

It will be so consoling, when I can see the landscapes I cherish.