Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Little Friends Along the Way

This raccoon was having lunch at Oyster Bay on Saturday.

An interesting day at the garden yesterday. Nobody was there, as there were infrequent moments of light rain, followed by sunbreaks. I was thinking, "perfect weather for sprouting carrots", when a beautiful pigeon fluttered down onto my plot. He began pecking in the straw, shoving pieces to each side to find edibles. Oddly, he followed me from section to section, stopping when I stopped, keeping occupied, just like me. A partner in the garden!

He occupied himself there for several hours, visiting some of the other nearby plots, but always returned to follow me around. At 5:00 I stopped my work and spoke to him. He cocked his head as if truly understanding, that it was now time to head home. I picked up my digging fork, put it on the side of my little wagon, and jolted the wagon along the path. He instantly flew up, and left the garden, the park, the neighborhood. I stopped and watched him glide away. When I got home I googled 'leg-banded pigeons', because that is what he was, and that is why he felt comfortable being my companion for the afternoon. I was absolutely delighted!