Monday, December 19, 2005

An Artist's Kitchen - Pottery Collections


Looking at the soft lavender pastels of this kitchen, one can only imagine the silence of early morning, winter snow in the yard, and the quiet hum of.....a potters wheel.

When she can take time away from her job and the care of her two daughters, Mel, my neice, stands here by the window, cup of coffee in hand. She is an artist, a potter, who throws clay on a potters wheel in her kitchen and bakes it in a kiln in her garage. Her collections are stored on a shelf over this archway, and I have filmed all of them.

When we visited Mel, I saw something very touching - she had saved all the old etchings and pastel drawings I had done 25 years ago. They were framed, and put up in her home. Had I kept them, they never would have survived all the relocations we had to make as I was raising my children. It took another artist to see their merit, hold onto them, and put them in a little gallery - Mel's livingroom. There they are in good company with her sculptures, pottery, her extensive art book collection, and the collections of her grandfather. I'd like to feature Mel today, and show the little details that reflect her love of art.