Wednesday, June 21, 2006

A Sense of History in the Grass


We were impressed that a family out on the prairie parked all of their family's machinery right there, along the road, so that people driving by could appreciate it.

I love old machinery. I can't always understand what they did, but the sheer size and mystery of them have always fascinated me.

I like how the paint rusts, and the hornets find nesting places inside the old cabs and inside the grill.

I like the big bolts and the engines.
When I was videotaping these, the owner was nearby, weedwacking the tall grass nearby. She said that they wanted to put a protective roof over all of them, but that would destroy the image of them, sitting out on the prairie.

She said all of these old machines still require maintence and repair, to keep them in shape.