Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Ethnic Fest At Wright Park

More than 150 merchants, from ethnic clothiers to corporate sponsors erected tents, strung banners and set up tables for a free, two day festival here at Wright Park, in downtown Tacoma.

Ethnic Fest is a yearly tradition, cele- brating Tacoma's rich cultural diversity with music, food, and bargan shopping.
Within a half mile of Portland Avenue on the East Side, more than 45 different languages are spoken - Philipino, Jamaican, Chinese, Korean, Indian, Persian, Japanese, and more. Ours is a very rich community, ethnically speaking. Everyone was wearing their native costumes, and ethnic clothing was the hottest selling item. I photographed these cute bags in a shop catering to the flavors of India and Pakistan. Most of these items are hand-made.

Toby here is a close friend of ours. He brought several of his children, and spent both days on the weekend visiting with old friends. Wherever Toby was, he was completely surrounded by people. He is very active in the Native community, and in the Baha'i community as well.

I visited with this gentleman on Saturday, when I took his picture, and again on Sunday. Here, he is twisting to the sounds of reggae. He is a Tacoma native, but has traveled all over the world. He was delighted to have his picture taken, and I've sent him a copy.

When I returned on Sunday, this lady waved to me from across the food aisle - she remembered seeing me on Saturday. I told her the photo I took of her was beautiful.

I was filming this man's masks and baskets, when he came over to me, took off his robe, and said to take a picture of him!



This lady was happy to have her picture taken, but first she wanted me to take a picture of some of her items from China. Out of respect, I'll show you here what she pointed out, the most delicate, colorful miniature garments - to keep a bottle properly dressed.


This man grinned at me as I passed, and it was so beautiful I turned around, walked back to him, and asked him if I could photograph him - he tilted his head back in a wonderful deep laugh, and obliged.

This couple decorated their little dog in a clown outfit, and I was fortunate to be able to chat with them awhile, while we were standing in line at a food booth.

Their little dog always has his tongue sticking up like this, and had to be carried due to the press of crowds.

There were two entertainment stages, alternating with performances. I especially enjoyed local jazz musician Michael Powers. People got up and danced spontaneously to the music. The powerful, playful reggae of Alex Duncan is always wonderful. He is a favorite, and is asked to return every year.

I sat on the grass and watched graceful Hawaiian dancers perform the Hula Halau 'O Kealaakua Naniloa Mana'o- akamai. Of all the dancing I saw, theirs was the most beautiful, and the most sensual. Other dance formats were Belly Dance, Celtic, Native American, Japanese Dance, Cambodian, and the Shahdaroba Middle Eastern Dance Troupe.

This is the barbeque - just powerful, wonderful aromas. The smoke drifted over the entire park. The cuisine of over 20 different countries is featured every year at Ethnic Fest.

When the performances were over, I ambled through the little exhibits, most of which offered ethnic clothing, jewelry, music, and artwork. There were educational and informative agencies, like the Breast Cancer Resource Center, The University of Washington, the Tacoma Art Museum and Historical Society, Bates Technical College, the American Cival Liberties Union, the Tacoma Urban League, the Rescue Mission, and the Health, Fire, and Sheriff. Not just any exhibitor or vendor can participate. A jury screens applicants for space. The Baha'is have held a booth here for years.

George and I attended both days. We bumped into Taraz and Megan there, and I also greeted quite a few old friends that I haven't seen for awhile - some were friends of my children when they were growing up. I was amazed at how they've grown, and are already raising their families.








We left Ethnic Fest feeling a wonderful sense of community.