Friday, August 18, 2006

Point Defiance Park

This is the pond at Point Defiance Park. The Park is vast, with many hiking trails as well as a large open arena for relaxing in the sunshine. People come here to jog, picnic, or do group calisthenics on mats they lay on the ground. There is a rose garden, a Japanese garden, and a community center for weddings and other festivities.

We go to Point Defiance to walk in the forest. Last week we hiked for about an hour and a half, at sunset, and since a good portion of it was uphill, my legs were quite tender the next day. So, last night we decided on a shorter hike, mostly level. I was in the lead, and came to a fork in the road. I headed downhill, eventually descending right down a bluff onto Puget Sound. We stayed there, watching the sunset play on the water and fishermen in boats were drifting along the water.

Since we had Daisy along for the hike, I brought some bread along, and we pinched up tiny morsels of it into little balls and fed the ducks in the pond. I never tire of hearing their little murmurs to one another, and they've gotten so tame they will take a morsel out of my hand. But, I have to let go quick, or I'll get nibbled too.

George had no interest in being surrounded by ducks nibbling at his socks, so he deliberately threw his bread balls far out into the pond, with the hope that the ducks would scramble after it. No such luck. Daisy was right there, handing out generous portions, squealing and encouraging them. There were so many, and little babies too.....that was a delight for Daisy.