Thursday, September 15, 2005

Doin' the Puyallup Fair


Most of September is dedicated to the Puyallup Fair. My daughter and I went and spent the day among all the exhibits and rides, and throngs of people.

At a fair it seems like people come out of the cracks, the hollows, the boonies. I saw so many specimens of humanity - and I think I enjoyed this the most... old people in wheel chairs, with visors and sunglasses, pretty women with babies in strollers, gangs of young men checking out girls with cell phones propped up to their ears; Harley couples, Hispanic and Philipino and Japaneese. I sat out on a bench with a hamburger and a coffee and just soaked up humanity.

We spent all afternoon going through the horticultural displays, animal barns, the arts and crafts, the collections. I'll post a few pictures below, for you to enjoy, but most of them will follow later in the week when I have a chance to talk about them more.

My daughter is such a great companion, pulling me over to all the things she knew I'd enjoy - and she knew where all the great food is. Those aromas were going to get you - we got roped into grilled burgers and onions for just that reason. And she couldn't resist a Snicker bar dipped in batter and fried!

I like the sounds of humanity having a good time - the screams from people hanging upside down on a ride, the carnival barkers enticing someone to play a game. But after awhile sensory overload takes it's toll, and all that walking too, and we made the carousel our last stop. We sat down and just listened to the music and enjoyed the smiles on the faces of children, fathers close by. The carousel here was built in 1913 - imagine going around and around and around for so many years, and still goin' strong. Sounds hopeful, doesn't it.