Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Filming Our Canoeing Trips


In this photo I was filming Puget Sound on a canoeing trip earlier this summer. It was pretty nippy out, and the water got too rough, so we headed inland, hopeful for more gentle water.

We've canoed hundreds of locations in all kinds of weather. I've filmed under an umbrella in the rain, during a sudden storm, while George was vigorously paddling along shore. We've paddled while snow was falling, and also when it was 90 degrees out. We've paddled in morning mist, and done late evening glides with the sunset on the water. All of these conditions offer unique filming advantages.

By now I've learned what to focus on, when to zoom in or pull back, what to film with bird sounds, and how to linger on a subject to satisfy my curiosity - all of this while moving along in a paddle rhythm. I have hand signals for George to follow, to slow down or stop, to turn, because I do not want my voice giving directions on film. He has since come to watch me, and knows what to do to get good film. He has an interest in getting good results.

I film our hikes too. I've always enjoyed listening to dry grass crunch underfoot and the gentle conversation that goes along with hiking. I like camera angles of our climb, of the crevaces in rocks, the vegetation on the ground. Sometimes I hold the camera down as I walk, just because of the variety of vegetation. I've filmed the sound of the rain as we ate our lunch, and when the rain stopped red-wing blackbirds started calling out to each other.

When we camp, I film cooking over the fire, and the image of the canoe in the water at sunset. I love camp scenes, of setting up, gear ready in the canoe - even the image of George pulling on his long underwear, inside the tent. I've captured images of coffee being made from inside the tent doorway, with the fabric of the tent framing the steaming brew.

I love to film all my family gathered around the fire, in multiple conversations, while eating dinner, and, I'll film everything on the picnic table to show the meal. In all, I manage to get a lot of family history, conversations that would have been forgotten in time. The only thing that is missing is me - you can hear my voice, but not see me because I'm behind the camera. Only rarely do I turn the camera on myself - it's got to be a good hair day, and when you are battling all kinds of weather, that is not likely to happen. I'm usually wearing a visor, sun-glasses, a big scarf around my neck, double layers of everything - even gloves sometimes. And, of course my green life-jacket. In winter I've got a down coat over everything - I'm sure if we capsized, I'd float, just from all the stuff I wear to keep warm.

Well, I bring this up, because some mornings I turn CNN off, and just enjoy my coffee with one of these videos, like I did this morning, and it will sure take me away! We've got a four day trip planned for the last weekend of this month over at Banks Lake, Jones Bay, Eastern Washington, one of our favorite camping locations. My sister and her husband and a bunch of the 'kids' will go along. My son-in-law will bring their canoe, and we'll do some more hiking and paddling. Should be pretty quiet over there now. I'm packing.