Thursday, September 15, 2005

Horticulture Displays


For many years this is the first place I went when we went to the Fair. I was a gardener for over 25 years, and have grown most of the things you see here.

Even in a city, a desperate gardener can rent garden plots from the Metropolitan Park District - Community Gardens. I usually got four, and I can remember a lot of home grown food: Fava beans, green beans, black-eyed peas, Oriental peas, regular peas, all kinds of squash and pumpkin, corn, potatoes (Yukon gold were my favorite), carrots, cabbage, onions, beets, Swiss Chard, all types of spinach and lettuce, cilantro, parsley, oregano, basil, buckwheat, fennel, dill, tomatoes... and more that I can't even recall.

What I do recall is that my husband would gather the produce after work, and put it in the refrigerator, with all the dirt still on it. I'd have to haul the beets out, wash them and put them back...those were some wonderful good eatin' days. And, he is a good cook!