Friday, September 30, 2005

Hubbard Squash Pie


Have you ever had left-overs, and wanted to be creative? That's what I did here, with left-over squash and buckwheat pancakes with blueberries. Couldn't throw any of it away, so I made a pie! And, it turned out great - graham cracker crust, squash filling, and the top was the crumbled pancake and blueberries mixed with a few pecans.

I think it is the purrrrdiest pie! And, the luck of getting a burst of sunlight for just a moment so I could photograph it - well, I'm countin' blessings here.

I also went to the library and picked up some books on living in the deep woods of Maine - one is "The Natural World of Louise Dickenson Rich", just down-home living. Homey. And, the other is "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson" ( Thanks to Anvilcloud). Now, Bryson can be a very funny guy...this book is about all of his ineptitude on the mountain trail with some out-of-shape travel companions. One book will put me in the mood to cook and put up the last of my preserves, and the other will keep me laughing.