Sunday, February 12, 2006

Getting Ready For Valentine's Day


My 9 year old grand-daughter, Daisy, came over Friday night for a few hours. After we had some grilled cheese sandwiches and pineapple upside down cake, I helped her with her homework. (Yes, grandma gets the homework done first, then Daisy doesn't have to think about it until she turns it in on Monday.)

After that we worked on her valentine box for school. We wanted a shoe box, but had to settle for a Puff Plus tissue box. I found some old wallpaper and we fitted that around the box. We painted the paper hearts red, cut them out, and decorated them with glitter glue. She glued these on the box, and although it was not your traditional lace and hearts, it didn't matter to Daisy. We had fun, and she made those typical 4th grader remarks, "Oh, your hearts are so much better than mine!"

When we finished, Daisy wanted to play with my hair, which is something she has done for years. My old salt-and-pepper hair is so thick that she can pull and tangle it. She got out clips, scarves, and bobby pins, and experimented with styles. I layed on the sofa, and she had the best time. Just as I'd fall asleep, she'd want me to sit up, so she could see the style. The worse I looked, the more fun she had.

This reminds me of a time she put braids all over in my hair. I fell asleep, and when I woke up I drove over to the library. I got my books, nothing unusual. But when I got home, I looked in the mirror, and all those braids were hanging all over my head. I'd entirely forgotten about them.