Monday, February 20, 2006

They're All Outta The Nest - Today!


Today our son Taraz will be moving to his new apartment, which is about a mile away, down 6th Avenue.

Taraz is the golden-haired youth pictured above with Rahmat, Ruhiyyih, Ruhullah and Laurel. All our kids are finally out of the nest.

I checked out his new apartment, and when I met the landlady, I was shocked to see that she is the same landlady that Rahmat has. She manages several apartment buildings for one owner. I was so happy, because I know her, and I'm impressed with her management style.

She is very 'hands-on', and skilled in so many ways. When Rahmat needed a good bike, she found one for him, left by an old tenant, and he paid only $80.00 for it. Rahmat would have taken a corner apartment overlooking a construction site, with all the power drilling and jack-hammers. I told the landlady to show us something else, because Rahmat works at night and sleeps in late. I knew the sounds would bother him. She had just the perfect studio apartment for him, overlooking a nice view of the city and Mt. Rainier.

Taraz's new apartment is a studio also in the old historic part of Tacoma. He will be moving in today, and I'm so happy to see him 'fly the coop' - for his sake and mine. I am so 'ready' to tackle those upstairs bedrooms, clean them out, restore them to what they had been - my guest room-studio and George's study. When Rahmat and Taraz came home from their Year of Services in Maine, Michigan and South Carolina they took over these rooms and George and I lost our creative spaces, where we did all our projects.

I really enjoyed having them home last June, and we've sure had some wonderful family moments. But, every little chick must fly the coop, and this hen is ready.