Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Walking Through My Neighborhood

Every day I try to take a walk through the streets in my neighbor- hood. If the weather is nice, I'll take two walks, just to enjoy the solitary pleasure of browsing the area. After awhile, a pattern is established and followed for a few weeks, until I've become acquainted with all the little touches, motifs, that I find delightful.

Sometimes, it is a little porch along the side of the house, with a tender sweet welcome. If you drive by, you'll not notice it as it requires peeking over a small hedge.

Sometimes, it is a front entrance that looks so welcoming and comfy, a place that invites neighbors to stop and sit on the porch.

As I walk, I notice the yards, the gardens, the flowers, the overhanging tree limbs. The Puget Sound Area is in the last stages of 'summer bloom' now, yet I see crocosmia, dahlias, lavender, lilies, and an abundant variety of shrubs. It is still profoundly lush and green here, with temperatures in the low 70's during the day, and in the mid 50's at night - perfect sleeping weather.

It was many, many years ago that I studied American architecture, starting with the homes of the residents living in New England. Some of the architectural motifs of those old historic homes can still be found in homes here - the Palladian windows, quoins, dormer windows, elegant arches and columns, and beautiful moldings.

There is a classic simplicity to some of these homes, with a soft blending of landscape that enhances the integrity of the home.

As I walk in the summertime, usually early morning, I see people out gardening in their yards, hear children playing, and have an opportunity to greet other walkers, many of which are retired like myself, getting their morning exercise. People are walking their dogs, a roofing company is tearing off old roof shingles and putting up new ones. A street is being repaired, with orange cones blocking the entrance. The little bakery on 21st street has new loaves of bread sitting in the window. I'm pleased to see fresh paint, carefully tended yards, beautiful stone-work and bedding plants.

This route of mine winds all along the perimeter of the University of Puget Sound, down to north 30
th street, where I have a pleasant view of the water of Puget Sound. On a sunny day, cool breezes seem to blow up from the water, adding a freshness to the trees lining the boulevards along Union Avenue. Dotted here and there along my route are a few little eateries, an interior decorating shop filled with decorating accents, like potted plants, lavender sprays, wall decorations and the like. But, it is always the houses that draw my attention. Someone, many years ago determined how the streets should be platted out, and my favorite street is 25th street, as it winds down around a little forested ravine, then empties into the cobble-stoned edges of Anderson Avenue. There, I notice the old steel rails of the trolley that ran through the old historic district of Tacoma.
This is the typical cedar shingle effect so popular in our part of the city.

My walk takes a little over an hour, and as the sun gets higher in the sky, I'm grateful for shade offered by overhanging tree-limbs. In fact, depending on the heat, I have routes that I take just to avoid getting too hot. I have my water-bottle along, and I make sure that it is freshly filled, whether I'm thirsty or not.

There is an extension on Anderson Avenue that winds around the ravine to show this grand old home. It has the most beautiful yard, within the fence and gate shown above. By peeking through a fence slot, I noticed beautiful flowers and a little fountain. The sound of water was delightful. I thought that it was a shame that most people don't even know about the beauty that is concealed within someone's back yard, as that is often an area that is carefully tended as a private retreat. Sometimes, it is the most beautiful spot on the property.

Houses have such strong presence, yet as I walk by the image is softened by a walkway of pale yellow pansys, a chance reflection in a little pool, or ornate glass in a window.

I listen to the rustle of leaves, breathe deeply the fresh morning air. As I round the corner home, I see the beginnings of crushed, dried leaves hunkered in the grass along the sidewalk. Weeds have all set seed and stand in a solitary stupor. The aphids line the stalks and undersides of nasturtiums. The end of the summer season is approaching.


I'd like to show you a few more of the bungalows on my walk, and present some of their distinguishing features. But, that will have to wait until tomorrow.