Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Just A Little Of This And That - Left-overs

If you had come to my house for lunch, you would have had 'leftovers'. This was the dessert I made from a Korean 'roll cake' given to us by a friend, Myong. I chopped up strawberries and cherries, drizzled on a little home-made elderberry syrup from Montana, and added a dollop of plain yogurt on top. Just sooooooo good!

And, the main dish? Left-over stir-fry shrimp with garlic, and vegetables. This tasty entree was from our dinner out with Megan's family Sunday evening. I put a helping of my own brown rice and blackbeans alongside some finely chopped cauliflower, onion, and carrots. This last dish is something I eat in the morning rather than hash-browns and eggs. I season the veggies with garlic, stir-fry it very hot, and serve it with a little canned salmon, about 2 or 3 ounces.

Since George got his diabetes, our meals have changed drastically over the past months. We seldom have sweet desserts, and most of our meals are vegetarian. I've also been watching my cholesterol, with the hope of reducing it - not that it has ever been high. I've had excellent readings, but, the cholesterol that I do have seems to be drifting and getting stuck in areas around the nerves to my eyes. It interferes with sending messages, and alters my vision - perhaps, it is related to low blood pressure. Since I've never really had a weight problem, I figured I could eat anything, and I always did - lots of homemade pies and cinnamon rolls, etc. I just always worked off that energy, rather than stored it.

I've since come to understand that I have to eat like a hunter/gatherer - whole grains, nuts and seeds, fish, cottage cheese and yogurt, and lots of fruits and vegetables. It makes 'doing meals' a very simple task. Meals become smaller and more frequent.

Eating out is a whole different story - this stir-fried shrimp, as tasty as it is, was a meal intended for one person, yet it will take about 4 - 5 meals to use everything up, as I add my own rice, beans, and vegetables. Portion sizes in restaurants seem to be astoundingly large, so this is what I do. Also, if George and I are out together, we will often split a dinner, rather than order so much food that we can't finish at one sitting.