Monday, August 06, 2007

Boating Accident on Lake St. Claire

Taraz, Megan, George and I had just pulled our canoes up onto the bank of Lake St. Claire when we saw a fire truck and ambulance drive up to the boat-ramp to attend to the injuries of a man who had an accident while water-skiing. Perhaps he hit a submerged log, or lost his balance and crashed onto a boat dock. We never asked any questions. But, the poor man had a broken leg, and required emergency on the spot treatment, with 'resetting' and splinting. I found it odd that people kept putting their boats in the water, or pulled them out, just feet away from this incident. Nobody wanted to wait until the medics were finished. For them, I guess, it was just another incident on the water, but I stood back and quietly watched, praying that the poor man would not suffer too much more. Taraz, Megan, and George loaded up our canoes and we headed home. George went to the office to prepare notes for some classes he will teach at Antioch University this coming week, and Taraz and Megan and I went out to dinner with Megan's parents Kevin and Therese, and Grandma Pat and Uncle Roger.

Our day sta
rted out without much fuss or circumstance. We took a circuitous route down to Olympia, then drove through bucolic hillsides dotted with farms and mini-ranches. This area is not far from the Evergreen College, where Megan will be taking classes for her Masters Program. They'll be moving down to that area, about 45 minutes away from Tacoma, in the middle of September. Our last paddle together was on the Black River, not far away, and Lake St. Claire is also nearby - both are favorites of mine. I'd forgotten just how busy the Lake can be in summertime, though, with the noise from children, families barbecuing out on the patio, and the many watercraft and skiers. It was a busy place.
In this photo, it looks quite peaceful, but that was not the case today.

We were just a few minutes into the paddle when I realized I'd forgotten to buy a cup of coffee at an Espresso stand. No chance to go back now, I'd be holding everyone up. Now, I figured this might happen someday. So, I was prepared.
I always bring along an emergency shot - doubleshot - of Starbucks coffee. I'd kept it in my camera box, along with some crackers, mixed nuts, and cranberry juice. I found it in the bottom of the box, pulled the tab, took a taste, and it was just perfect! Then, George asked me what the expiration date was.....well, sometime in 2005!

We also fit in a bit of a hike along a tra
il through the nature preserve at McLane Creek. It is mostly a boardwalk stroll, a little over a mile, which features a pond, reeds, beaver mounds and the usual mallards and red-winged blackbirds.
Taraz and Megan getting acquainted with the old-growth forest. In just a few months this area will be saturated with rain, and remain that way throughout the entire winter.
Wind-fall, and a chance for Taraz to walk on wood.

And lastly, a most peculiar sight - looks like someone came along and chopped off every limb, to a certain length, then left and let the moss grow.