Friday, August 17, 2007

One Thousand Five Hundred and Fifty Five

I just happened to notice when I was creating this post, that Blogger says it will be my 1,555th since I started blogging in June of 2005. Can that be, that I've had over 1,555 things to talk about all this time? I can barely remember what I wrote two days ago, let alone think up another topic most of the time!

And, it seems like I pare-down my writing efforts to just several subjects now, rather than explore subjects on the Internet as I did years ago.
Back then, the Internet was new to me, as I'd never bothered to learn how it really worked. I think the experience of blogging brought me into the virtual world. It also 'got me out of my shell', as I'm normally quite shy, quiet, and mostly a listener. (But, ask me a question, and I'll offer an answer.)

When I first started reading blogs, it was with the desire to explore and understand people who were very different from myself, as I figured they could teach me a lot about human similarities and differences. This is one of the immediate pleasures of the Internet.
As a child I was drawn to personal narratives, finding biographies at the library. I carried the interest into college, when I minored in the Humanities. That gave me the opportunity to study literature from around the world. It seems like the central concerns of humanity have always pretty much remained the same. People want something to do, someone to love, and something to think about.

Speaking about the loving part - my grand-daughter Daisy came over for the afternoon while Rue was running errands. I thought we could fill part of the day with a bike ride, so I told Rue to bring her bike over. We'd peddle around the University of Puget Sound, like we did last summer.
Daisy will be entering Middle School in September - 6th grade. So, she had to primp in the mirror for fifteen minutes before we left. It was one hairstyle after the other, with any clips, pins or contrapt- ions she could find in our bathroom drawer. She settled on a French Twist, held in place with my chop-stix. I took one look, and figured that would last to the end of the block, then fall into the street. So, she redid her do, pulled her bangs across her forehead in Swoopy-bangs, and held it all back with a scarf. We were off.

It has been a year since I've been on my bike. I took a wet rag and dusted off the cushion, and peddled it out into the street. My, it sure takes a few blocks to regain everything I've lost when it comes to balance. I wobbled down to the corner, stopped to check, and looked behind me. Daisy was just a few feet away, and we both waited for the signal. Once across the street, we both pedaled along the sidewalk - the only safe place I feel riding a bike with her along.

We thoroughly enjoyed breezing along, until I hit a bump at a curb, and my tire went flat. I found myself wobbling along, so we checked the tire. Yup, it was flat. I should have checked the air in that tire before we started.


Since Daisy brought along a snack in her backpack, we decided to sit in the shade at the University, and visit awhile over lunch.
Our best plan for the afternoon was shot, and we had to walk home. Humph.