Thursday, October 21, 2010

Gleanings From The Garden - Roasted Veggies

We've had such beautiful sunshine-filled days, so perfect for putting the garden to bed. I've spent hours turning over the soil, pulling out the spent vegetation, and getting my plots ready for winter. I look forward to the downtime, when the labors of the garden do not consume so much of my time. This last month has been so productive, with canning, pickling, freezing, and cooking.

All that is left in the garden now are two varieties of kale, the Swiss chard, huge turnips, lettuce and collards. By the end of the month all plots must have stakes and trellises removed, and the area returns to the jurisdiction of Metro Parks. They can glean whatever remains on my plot... so I leave wintering over plants for the Food Bank. Those areas remain tended until spring. What is not gleaned I'll chop down, so the soil can be plowed.


These are the last of my tomatoes and zucchini. To roast them, toss them with olive oil, herbs, garlic, onions and other vegetables. I added kale and leeks. This batch was layered with seasoned and toasted bread-crumbs and shredded mozzarella.

For dinner I made spaghetti, tossed it with olive oil, then added more of the roasted vegetables, shredded cheese, and a can of pinto beans. The sauce from the chili beans provided flavor but not a heavy tomato sauce taste.

Our family is having a fall reunion this weekend - Ruhiyyih and Matt are driving over from Richland, and Taraz is flying in from Denver. He'll stay five days. I'm sure looking forward to seeing all of my kids together. I'll be spending the next few days baking, cooking and cleaning.