Friday, January 20, 2006

Mediterranean Brunch With Ruhu'llah


My son Ruhu'llah stopped by today, and I fed him a Mediterranean brunch - Hummus with Pita Bread, Spinach and Tomato Salad, and yellow Hubbard Squash. Throw in a little green onion, cilantro, purple grapes and apple slices - and you've got a nutritious meal. (click on photo to enlarge)

Mediterranean dishes, like Hummus (ground garbanzo beans), Tabbouleh (bulgur cracked wheat), and Falafel (chick-pea croquettes) are all favorites of mine. The recipes are Syrian, Lebanese and Egyptian in origin.

I buy the powdered mix in bulk at Fred Meyer, and I try to always have them prepared, on hand. I mix the dried Hummus with water and put it through a blender, to make it smooth. Add a little olive oil and fresh lemon juice, with a dash of paprika or lemon-pepper on top. Within just moments you can have Pita and Hummus with a cucumber - tomato salad and fresh fruit. I bake the squash ahead of time, with brown sugar, cinnamon, and olive oil.