Sunday, January 15, 2006

Wet And Boggy, But, There's Sunshine!


We went for a half-mile hike through a nature trail that was the most primitive and underdeveloped trail I've ever done. George kept smiling and urging me on, saying, "It's a great hike, come on!" I put on my garden boots (not my hiking boots) and checked it out. This is the trail - 3 inches of water most of the way. Although there were some nice ferns and moss, just about everything was bedraggled, boggy looking, like it was ready to expire in the next windstorm. Massive flooding had occurred along the Skokomish River, and this area of the Reservation was flooded. Along the highway, the vacant 4th of July fireworks stands were standing in 8 inches of water. Farmers fields were flooded, looking like rice paddys. We slogged through this hike in about 20 minutes.