Monday, June 14, 2010

Making Chapatis

So many of the Indian curries I've been serving are best eaten with naan or chipati. Naan, a yeast flatbread, is soft and puffy, the chipati are more coarse. I've enjoyed playing with the naan dough, making some of them like buns, for salmon fritattas.

However, lately I've used flatbreads for the curries.Last week I made more eggplant curry, a pungent hot curry, and Navratan Korma, a sweet curry made with many vegetables and pineapple. Both are eaten with chipatis in India, with the flatbread used to scoop up the curry.

I've never made chipatis, so I watched videos first, to see how it is done. Most of the online reviews of chipatti-making indicate that it is an acquired art, that practice will perfect the quality of the chipatti. So, I figured, if it doesn't turn out, I can always throw the results out into the street in the morning, for the gulls and crows.

I have a tawa, a round flat griddle used in India, and a chipati breadboard and rolling pin, specifically made for making these flatbreads. They are not necessary, as anything can be used that is on hand - I just enjoy using authentic products from India, imagining limited workspace like a corner of the courtyard.
This street in Tibet is called Chipati Row. The chipati are baked in an oven, then sold at the market.
My chipati turned out OK, but far from perfect...I eagerly look forward to trying this again.
First, I gathered all the ingredients together - whole wheat flour, yogurt, salt, and oil.
Then home-made plain yogurt was poured into the bowl of flour - yogurt creates a softer chipati. Mixing and kneading the dough, which must be smooth for a good chipati.
Adding oil makes for a smooth, softer chipati.
A perfect, soft ball of chipati dough.
Little golf-ball sized rounds are then rolled out in the hands.
I used a knife to cut the portions, but they can be pinched off.
The balls are pressed onto a floured breadboard.
Then rolled out, using flour to keep the dough from sticking.
Initially I oiled the surface of the tawa to fry the chipati, but stopped doing this - it made the chipati too saturated with fat. Eventually, I learned from my proceedures, finding just the right temperature and duration for frying.
The chipati were puffy yet coarse, with a hole inside for stuffing curries and vegetables.